Thursday, March 26, 2020

Chicken hips

I referred to "chicken hips" yesterday to 2 people, both college educated, both pretty good cooks. Neither knew what I was referring to. 

I'm somewhat used to this, because lots of things are not named correctly, and my campaign to educate the people has not been too successful.  "WTF are you talking about"? Thanks for asking. *football* The USA "sport" "football". (we could discuss how the "super bowl" is a "world championship"....America is not quite the world. 

I call "football" throwball. Why? because 99% of it is accomplished by throwing. 

Back to chicken hips. Review this skeleton and focus on the legs. Even when we buy a whole frozen or fresh bird, we don't get the feet or ankle or shin. You can buy them at  wallymart, in the mexican cooler section. Or maybe it is asian, not sure, and really not sure what they make from it or how they eat it. 

The "drumstick" is the part of the bird also called the leg, which is a favorite of kids, but is actually not really worth buying or eating. Unless you cook them with the intention of pulling the meat from the bone and making soup. 

Still with me? The drumstick is actually the chicken thigh, since it goes from the shin to the hip. 

Why they call the hip the thigh, is a mystery that I'm not interested in researching. It might be documented. "this is why we named this that and that this".  

Ok, so I went here and asked. I doubt I'll get an answer. 

curious what you think about it. Am I wrong? Why? Am I right?

No comments: