Thursday, March 26, 2020

LED light repair

Buy LEDs, they said. They'll last forever, they said. 

Well, I didn't buy it, I found it in the dumpster at work. I remember thinking at the time: I know this is in here for a reason, but it's an LED light, so maybe........

It sat around for a couple weeks before I looked at it. I was working on a few other things, and it was daytime, so I didn't need more light. LOL That's BS right there....I'm getting older, I need more light almost all the time. (Eye guy says there's no hint of any problems, that's just the way it is....which sucks and I apologize to any and all old people I made fun of or heckled due to not being able to see stuff)

First step is to read the stickers; determine what it is and what to expect. Looks like it was made in May of 2013, so clearly that's not forever. 120 volts AC in, 26 DC out. Weird. 

Second step is to connect 120 to the white and black wires to confirm that it's broken. Nothing happens, not even when I put my meter on the output leads. 




Yeah, they are out of order, sorry about that, but know that I have confidence in your ability to figure it out. 
You can can see in the 2nd pic that something burned up, it's considered a "switch mode power supply", which means there's a transistor in there that switches the circuit on and off a LOT so that the end result is roughly 26 volts. And of course, there's a full bridge rectifier in there to convert it to DC. 

I started this post in 2018, or at least that is the most recent time I had typed in it and saved it as a draft. 

How did I fix it? I can't believe that I didn't take pics of that too. But I found a small transformer and a rectifier, mounted it in there, and it works. I really like the light, because the 3 lights can be aimed different directions. I can point one at my  stained glass/leather bench, one at the shelves behind the bench (under the clock) and one towards the drill press and scroll saw. 

Moral of this story, if you have an LED light like this, and it quits, don't throw it away....you can buy a power supply for it from ebay, or send it to me, and I'll fix it for you. 

No comments: