Friday, April 03, 2020

Genesis grinder

I went dumpster diving yesterday. 

Diving is not really accurate, since I hardly ever climb inside, but I almost did yesterday, but employing the use of some 2x4 levers, I was successful retrieving a 4 1/2" Genesis angle grinder. It was missing the extra handle that screws into the head area of it, but no matter, that's the easy part. 

Genesis brand....never heard of it. But,  of course Uncle Google was aware of it, and told me that I could get one at Home Depot, Amazon, and some other scumbag place that I don't remember or patronize. 

HD charges about $40 for one....so it's not the cheapest thing available....Harbor Freight holds that honor, if you use a couple coupons, you can get one for about 8. And for what I do, it works pretty well. 

I plugged the Genesis in, and turned it on. Actually, the switch slides, but whatever, and it came on, sounded normal, smelled normal. It has a cut off wheel installed, and that works too. The only obvious problem, aside from the missing handle, is the spindle lock button is damaged, broken, etc. 

So, I found some wood, I found a bolt, I found the lathe and some epoxy, made a handle and will put it all together. You can jam a screw driver in the right place to lock the spindle, and the wrench from my Skil grinder that Val gave me 20+ years ago fits. Maybe the ideal thing for this one would be a cup brush of some sort, so it doesn't have to be changed too often.  

I love it when people throw away perfectly good tools.....I neglected to tell you about the Makita circular saw that I found.....missing the cord. It too works great.

No comments: