Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Dandelion jelly

I've got way too many dandelions. I know, I know. just spray. But you have to spray a lot for a couple years before they are gone. Due to being #stuckathome I've heard a lot about how nutritious and wonderful dandelions are...so I decided to pick some for jelly.

It's good exercise, get lots of fresh air, etc. Basically, just pick the flower, and get your scissors ready. 
Once they're picked, you use one hand to hold the petal part and scissors to separate them from the body, and this is when an observant sort will realize that dandelions are a lot like a thistle. 
Add water and bring to a boil, you're making a tea, or infusing the water with the dandelion-ness (essence) Once it boils, turn off heat and allow it to steep, overnight. No point in getting in a hurry about this. 
BTW, seems like the best time to pick dandelions is early to mid afternoon, unless it's hot, and then do it whenever they are in the shade.
I had picked the pot full of flowers, it was about half full once cut. And after I strained and squeezed out the 'tea" 

Adding pics from the phone makes it layout weird. When cooking, the tea smelled like broccoli. Once strained, it smells like and tastes like canned corn water. 

To make jelly, take some tea, add lemon juice and pectin, boil. Add sugar, taste. Adjust as required: more lemon juice, more salt, etc. Boil again. Put in jars. When it's cooking, it smells just like honey. Maybe it's due to me using some brown sugar with the white sugar. Dunno. 

I read a couple posts from people that made it, for one it didn't set, so she used it as honey. I figured if it didn't set that's what I'd do, too. Or as syrup. It might be great in a cocktail.  I also read a post about batter frying the flowers. 

It might be interesting to use the "tea" as vegetable stock when making soup, but I'm certain it's not worth the effort. While it didn't take too long to pick the things, it did take a long time to cut them. I imagine flavor of the tea is influenced by the amount of green that stays on, the amount of dog pee and the number of ants that hang on for the transfer. 

I picked every blooming dandelion in my yard. The next day there were just as many blooming. No wonder they take over an area. 

Try it.....you might like it.

No comments: