Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Freedom Rock motorcycle ride, part 1, a synopsis.

I don't know if synopsis is the used properly or not, I'm sure someone will let me know.  :)

The Freedom Rock ride:  3 days, open to the motorcycle riding club that we're in.  We're the only ones that went.  I'm mostly happy about that, but I'm partly sad about it, too.  I'm happy because we were able to do what we wanted to do without any dissenting opinions or arguments.  We could stop where we wanted, eat what we wanted, where we wanted, we didn't worry about holding our farts (not that I do anyway), didn't have to apologize to anyone when we were late.

And we were late.  The ride started with a SNAFU, which thankfully was not FUBAR.  If you don't know what those are, you can ask Uncle Google.  I'm not going to tell you why we started off late, either, it might embarrass Val.  Suffice to say, we left almost exactly an hour late.  Since we each had most of a full tank, we didn't leave from the gas station as planned, we just left from home, cruised on down the interstate to Albert Lea, where we got gas, some breakfast, changed some gear around, and wondered if we should call Leonard.

We didn't.

Right away I deviated from my directions...no point to go back east to the interstate, just to go back west again.  This is not the only time there was deviation from the directions, but it's about the only time that it saved time or miles.  There was another instance today, maybe I'll tell you about that later.

So!  We rode down, around, up, over, under; we were kind of like a merry go ride, only not quite.  My strategy when on a long ride is to plan hotels, plan stops, and plan some meals, but not all meals.  I also reserve the right to stop and take pics of different things.  Here's an example.



Sac County is the "barn quilt capitol of the world".  Barns, signs, buildings have these painted quilt thingys  all over the place.  Could have stopped at least 100 times to take pics, none were the same.  Impressive.  The other things I've pictured are self explanatory, right? No?  Well, I don't know what the deal is with the middle pic. It has a John Deere sticker on it, though.  The first pic I'll have to ask Uncle Google about.



Get busy on those, too, will you?  And while you're at it, imagine a pic that has a old looking hiker on it and the words "Dragoon Trail".  WTH is that?

Some ride leaders insist on getting gas at every bio break.  Not me.  Sometimes we'll gas up at the restroom breaks, sometimes at lunch, whatever.  Some say:  every 100 miles.  Not me.  We gassed at 60, sometimes at 120, once at 162.  We were getting nervous about the gas supply at that point, however, it turned out ok.

This ride review will be broken down into several parts, one for each day, probably, and that likely means that I'll never get to the last day.  If that happens, get over it, ok?  thanks.

No comments: