Thursday, March 26, 2020

Faucet repair

When we remodeled our kitchen in 2005, that included the sink and faucet, even though the faucet was fine. Sink was too, of course. BUT. Since we were spending the equity from our house, we had to spend it all. Like free money. 

I've learned a lot since then.

But what I knew then was to put in a Moen faucet, because that tagline that they use: Buy it for looks, buy it for life....seems to be true, because 15 years later and it's still working great. 

So if it's working great, why did I fix it? Well, I didn't think to use any sort of loctite on a bolt during installation, probably because I assumed that some water would leak down there and the hard water would glue it on tight. It's really quite a horrible design, from the plumber aspect, and my picture is terrible. 
But. The mount for the spout was loose, that's the left part, the water goes thru a flexible tube, as seen above. Can't get a wrench in there, can't get pliers in there. FINALLY after 30 years, I finally get to use one of these:
Crow's foot. But the size I needed didn't fit over the tube, so I had to grind the opening a little bigger. 5/8, in case you have one too. That pic is of what I needed, but just the 2 extensions on the ratchet were used. I think maybe only 1 full revolution was all it needed, and most of that was fingers.  

Years ago I had to get in that cabinet for something, so I found a way to remove the center divider. The door hinge unscrews from the face frame, 2 screws each door, and then 2 screws on the center part, and the thing is wide open, although not too comfortable. 

On my cabinet, that center part was held in via mortise and tenon, top and bottom, plus some staples. I'm not sure how I sawed off the top tenon or removed the bottom staples. Brute force and desperation, probably. To reinstall, I screwed a small piece of thin plywood to the top, on the inside, and then screwed that to the face frame. Turned out great. 

Took years to get around to doing it, and about an hour to do. Typical project.....Except for when the flush handle wore out/broke.....that didn't take too long to fix, But it did take 2 trips to Menards. 

No comments: