Monday, March 30, 2020

Rebar, upcycled.

Rebar, rerod, reinforcing rod, whatever you call it, it's the same stuff....except it's not all the same. I've heard that each foundry makes a batch at the end of the day with whatever they have left over, so long as it meets the minimum standards. And it's pretty good steel, too, holds bridges and buildings together for years. 

In the last year or so, I've developed some interest in blacksmithing, to the point where I went to Harbor Freight and bought an "anvil". I give it the quotes, because it's not much of an anvil. The horn is the wrong shape for a lot of work, and it's too soft and it's too light, but it was cheap and it's better than nothing. 
Mounted on a pine block, which is mounted on a disk brake rotor. Hammer hanger is the lid from a ballast. Wire brush handle is from a ball valve. 

I watch some youtube videos about blacksmithing, and have learned a lot. If you're interested, look at Black Bear Forge, Essential Craftsman, Jimmy Diresta, and there's a bunch of other guys that do a little, too. 

I don't have a forge, and my good torch was stolen by the guy that lived next door, along with a bunch of other stuff, so I heat up stuff with a propane torch. It's not ideal, but it works for small items. 3/8 rebar would probably bend w/o heat, if you asked it nicely. Or used a big hammer. But it heated ok, and bends a lot easier hot than cold. 

Muddy, rusty, but just the right size. We found it on our walk the other day...it was standing straight up in a little pile of snow, dirt and gravel, just waiting to stab a tire. 

I'm making this tool to be used with the wood lathe, it's offset so I can cut a recess in the bottom of a bowl while the tailstock is still in position. I heated it and wire brushed and tapped with the peen to remove the majority of dirt and rust. Pretty simple, really, bend an offset in it to get around the tailstock, flatten the end to mount the cutter, do some grinding, sanding, brushing, and it's done. 



Almost. Still have to drill and tap a hole to mount the carbide cutter. Luckily, Dad gave me a tap and die set a long time ago. 

It would be GREAT if the tap and die set came with a set of proper drill bits. Anyone recognize that yellow rag? It was one of my favorite shirts for several years, a gift from my motherinlaw; she got it from the thrift store. 

Ok, obviously I mounted the cutter before cleaning up the steel. But I wanted to make sure it was going to work before doing the cosmetic work. I see that the handle is just in the pic, too. Dawn made that on my new lathe a month or so ago. I drilled a 3/8 hole thru it, which means I had to drill from each end, which is just about as much fun as it sounds. Neither end was cut square.....but the center marks were still there from the lathe, so that helped.

This is to cut a recess, or the tenon, whichever, on a bowl. I have a Oneway 2436 lathe, btw. I think it could be used with a round cutter to be a hollowing tool, but I'm not sure the 3/8 will be stiff enough for that. I'll prob experiment with it. 

Any questions? comments? 

No comments: