Tuesday, March 31, 2020

speaker boxes

I was in my woodshop this morning, and  a Journey song came on. Send Her My Love. Of course I had to turn it up. But one set of speakers didn't survive the experience. They came from a radio/cdplayer that I had in my massage office for a while, 4 ohm, 8 watt. 4" speaker, but a pretty big box. I use a Sony receiver that I've had since 93 or 94....that's hooked to a phone found on a bus, being used as a wifi tablet, playing Pandora radio. 



I don't know how speakers work. Magnetism, electricity, etc, magic.  I know that my meters don't show anything when I put them across the wires. 

I mention above that the speakers are in a pretty big box, considering the size. I'm aware there are calculators available, to tell you what size box to make. And if you should ventilate it or stuff it or or or so many variables and options. 

Long time ago, I bought a pair of speakers, with the intention of putting them in something. The honda? the pickup? I really don't remember....it's been more than 10 years, but the speakers were right where I left them.  Still in the box, ready to go.  I think they are 40 watt, and there's no marking on them to indicate ohms. 

Speaker wire? I'm not buying any fancy speaker wire, dumpster wire is good enough for me. LOL.....I lol because this orange wire is WAY more fancy than regular speaker wire. See that it has a metallic shield around the 2 conductors? And it has a ground wire, and it has the string wrapped around there, running the length of it to add strength and to get in the way.....I didn't research what the printing on the jacket says, I just know that it's about 22 AWG, which is quite good enough for speakers. 

I'm using pallet wood, of course. I'm not doing much to get it ready....I ran the boards for the top and bottom thru the table saw 3x, that does a pretty good job of straightening the edges. the sides just 2x. I really don't think I'll sand stain or varnish. I'm going to fasten the boxes between some floor joists and enjoy them. 


For the top and bottom, I had to glue 2 boards together, but I didn't measure them to determine how wide to make the box. I did calculate length of box, based on the length of the boards, so I don't know why I didn't think about the width. It turned out ok, the top and bottom are a little bit narrow. 

I glued and stapled it all together, installed with 2 screws thru the center hole. It was a bit of a challenge to hold the speaker, the grill, the screwdriver, the flashlight.....but I got it done, and it sounds great. 

No comments: