Sunday, July 08, 2012

Since it's hotter than a $30 whore this week,

I've been spending time in my basement shop cleaning throwing out and organizing.  Yes, indeed, constant readers....a day in the basement is much like a day in the garage, except there are stairs involved.  Here's a reminder from FB:


A day in the garage is a lot like having ADD...spend some time with the motorcycle, hey, what's in that box? I wonder if those extension cords work? What the hell is that? Why is this in here? Where is that flux capacitor? Shouldn't there be a shelf there? Should put a light here. Maybe I should change the oil. Better pour those jugs of windshield wiper juice together, make room on the shelf for for the ice melt. Did I put StaBil in the snowblower? It's exhausting, but the weather man says no chance of snow today.


My basement is a mess, friends.  It's been a long long time since I've done any real work down there, and it should stay clean, right? Nope.  I'll get something out, do a project, walk away.  I'll take something down there, put it on the bench or on the floor, walk away.  Shove it aside to do a project, clean it up later.  


Jeesus Christ, it's hot outside.  It's a good thing my grill is in the shade.  


Here's why a day in the basement is like having ADD.


Get coffee, head down and turn on the lights, sit down to survey the situation.  
Is there such a thing as a $30 whore?


where is that fan?  Maybe I should clear off the table saw.  I built the bench for the saw, you know, since it has a teeny tiny table, and I wanted a longer/wider table.  I had actually built a massage table before buying my table, and so I just re-purposed it.  Who cares about that, why isn't the radio on?  Seems like Susie's 1990 boom box's digital tuner stopped tuning.  Fine, I've got a 1988 boomy box, I'll move it to the basement.  Hey, Susie's has an antennae still.  Wonder if that'll work.....it does!  My boomy box thingy has not had an antennae for 24 years.  Huh, I don't remember bringing that old iron down here, let's take it apart.  It has an interesting switch and a decent cord, put that in the box with all the others............oh, maybe it's time to get rid of this light I brought home in 1999...take it apart, may need the screws sometime somewhere...wonder if this light bulb works, better test it.....yep, it's good.


Pick up this, pick up that, what's in that box.  Oh, I've been looking for that for a while.  Better combine a few boxes of crap, I guess I could toss the toaster box, warranty has expired.  Trash can is full, better go dump that.  Sort the recycles out, go check FB.


30 minutes later, back downstairs, oh, here's some snaps, better put those in the right box.  Where the hell is the trash can?  OH.  crap.


Maybe I'll sort thru these magazines.  Wood magazine, you perverts.  As in wood working....I take a minute to ponder if there'd be any value at the used book store.  I find an old magazine with the cover price of .35........I paid 50 cents for it 10 years ago.  Hmmmmmmm.  Do I want to fool with it?  No.  To the recycle bin.  Ah, yes, the trash can.  Toss that sucker down the stairs.  Whoops, sorry cat.


Oh, look someone posted a pic on FB.  Better like that.


hey, there's the filters for the shop vac.  Better change those, that damn thing's not working right. Wash out the foam filter, crap, better let it dry before I put the paper filter on.  Gave the hose a blow, it was full of stuff.  that could be why it wasn't working.  Interesting, isn't it that all sizes use the same filter?


Good coffee, now I have to pee.


Someone poked me.  I better poke her back.


Oh, yeah, that sprayer head, let's see if it fits either of those bottles in the other room.  yep, but the tube is too short.  Out to the garage where the tubing is.  Holy hell, it's hot out there.  Now, figure out which tube is the right size, we'll measure and cut it inside.  There, that's done, but why did the fan fall over and crap, it's ground some insulation off the multimeter lead.  :(


Consolidate some containers of containers that the head packrat has saved.  Bring in the battery charger, charge up the deep cycle battery....it may be dead.  Damn.  Wash dust and dirt off my books from AAI, find the graduation roster inside.  I really don't recognize any of those names anymore.  


Still have not uncovered the tables saw, but I can get to the bandsaw.  No, they are not interchangeable.  Norm may think so, but he's got an unlimited budget...the bastard.


Round up some more cardboard for the recycle bin...we have a recycle bin larger than our trash bin and we often get it filled in 2 weeks.  This should not be an exception....Val may have to sit on it all night Sunday, so it doesn't blow over and spill.  Quit doing that rain dance!


And now on a more serious note.  This has nothing to do with anything, but I want your sympathy, and patience, since I won't be typing much.  A little over a week ago, I developed some neck pain, while driving a bus.  A couple fingers went numb, I finally went to a crackropractor, and he said "you have a pinched nerve."  I thought:  no shit.  He gave my neck a good crack, and it felt better for a while.  Terrible next day, and the day after that.  Went back on Friday, got another good crack...but it didn't really help.  Saturday, Val took me to what I consider to be Urgent Care, they gave me some muscle relaxers and nerve pills.  They have helped, but while on them, there's no driving....they make me sleepy!  Unpredictably sleepy.  Going to miss work....meaning I'm not going to be there.  I won't actually miss it.  ;-)


I'm a little worried that I've got a slipped disc or a herniated disk, or something like that.  Or maybe that muscle is so pissed off that it keeps pulling that bone out of place and there's so much inflammation that the nerve is being pinched.  


I don't know.  But what I do know is that it is not very comfortable to type, sit, stand, walk, eat, pee, crap, or lie down.  In short, if you ever wanted to see me suffer....now's your chance.  I've been suffering for more than a week, but Val's been a great nurse.  I hope I did half as good when she had her hip thing.


I don't expect to post another good long bloggy thing for a while, maybe a short one, now and then on my progress.  Or regress.









1 comment:

B00 said...

Take care of yourself. Do what those crackhead doctors tell you to do. Get back to writing. If worse comes to worse and you have an extremely good idea, you can always tape what you want to blog and that hot little nurse you have helping you out, could type it for you.
You're welcome Val, for me volunteering you!
Hope to hear you're on the mend soon!!