Monday, November 12, 2012

buckwheat for breakfast

Celiac disease?  Gluten intolerance?  No one knows...for sure.  What we do know is that we paid $6000 for a scopey experience and they found some ulcers in my stomach or maybe the small intestine.  Of course they don't know what caused them, but one thing could be this celiac sprue thingy.  

So I cut back on foods containing gluten, started eating more whole grains, vegetables, etc.  I just realized tonight that at the same time I cut out the Crystal light style kool aid lemonade stuff I'd been drinking.  :(  

The good news is that I felt better right away.  More energy, less lethargy, sometimes occasional repeated redundancy, and a few other improvements.  You don't care to read about my experiences in the bathroom, do you?

I had attributed the improvements to less gluten, but maybe it is because I'm not ingesting artificial sweeteners. 

If you are my FB friend, you may have read about my breakfast experience the other day.  I'm enhancing it tonight:

  • 1 cup buckwheat
  • 1 cup rice
  • 1 cup oatmeal
  • 3 cups milk
  • 4 cups water
  • 1/4 t cinnamon
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 apple cubed
  • handful raisins
put all that stuff in a crockpot and turn it on low till morning.  It will derive the sweetness it needs from the apple and raisins.  It's really not a lot of cinnamon, but sometimes cinnamon has upset my sizable stomach.  

You wanted to see what buckwheat groats look like, right?

I may add a spoonful of peanut butter in the morning to my bowl, and I'd add a sprinkle of millet like Angela suggested, but I don't have any.  Some chopped walnuts or pecans would be a nice addition, too.  I'm thinking I may have to add more liquid to it.  Dunno.  If I do, it'll be coffee.

I'll add that one possible downfall to eating this style of breakfast, and maybe the body will get used to it, is that the bowl contains a lot more liquid than I used to take in that time of day, and I've had to pee more often in the morning.  Given my occupation....that is kinda dangerous.

UPdate.  Hey, dates would be a nice addition.  As surmised, there was not enough liquid, now I've got some nice crustybrownness to scrape out of the crockpot.  I don't know why or if my crockpot gets hotter than the newer units, but it seems to do that a lot.  There was also not enough salt, but that's easy to change.  An apple that doesn't cook away into mush would be good, too.  But anyway...it's an easy way to make a lot of hot breakfast for a large crowd,  but maybe next time I'd use a timer so it only cooked 3 hours or so.  

No comments: